Saturday, September 13, 2008

My son, Shawn R. Scarbrough

I classified this as wellness because, to remember true memories and able to express feelings is to know wellness. My students have been asking me about my son.








I ran across these photos, thinking they (and he) would enjoy them. In 1988, I took Shawn to Australia to visit friends and art clients. We rode with the "real" men from Snowy River (as in the Disney movie, on the actual horses in the movie), Mick and his children. Shawn was a charmer with animals, our own, owls, hawks, and deer. He is an amazing person, caring, happy, and strong as a child and son. Friends with his cousins, like Danny Jr. and Angela, they had close relationships. He was close with and fond of his grandfather, Maj. John Foote Sr., alike in spirit and very close as grandfather and grandson. It is no wonder Shawn went to Iraq, as a marine, and came back safe and sound. Warriors and military leaders run in our Foote family. We lived with his grandparents for 6 months and cherish that time spent with them.
I was a major influence in Shawn's life and it is evident in his life now. We were tremendously close and I had the opportunity to be involved in all of his activities and clubs. I am thankful for having the chance to be his mother and am very proud of him. We had the experience of traveling across the country as I was working as a freelance artist, from Dallas, Texas to Seattle, WA, back through Denver when he was 9 years old. My little sister, Darlene and I still am greatful for the memories. We were living in Dallas at the time.
I love him and always will, regardless of time, distance, and situations that our busy lives present.
Mothers need to always enjoy the time they have with their children. It flies by so quickly!

No comments: