Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Gwen Foote Teaches at Oglala Lakota College

September 2005
I received a certification for Special Education K-12, completing Gifted and Talented endorsement from University of South Dakota this next year. I have taught as a certified teacher with a degree in Elementary Education on Pine Ridge Indian Reservation for 5 years.

As Equinox approaches, I am enjoying teaching college for Oglala Lakota College. I am on the faculty for the Department of Education instructing courses in child development and methods of teaching math /science.
Below (l to r) is a former student of mine, Jasmine, Mary Anne Stoutsenberger of NASA education department (who also works with NASA "SHARP" Program), & me, Gwen Foote. Mary Anne was great moral support for my graduation and received a star quilt, a traditional thank you gift.





Oglala Lakota College provides it's residents opportunities of higher education in a variety of fields. This was the first year with graduates from TV Production department.
Cmdr John Herrington (Chickasaw Native & first Native American to travel in space) spoke as keynote speaker for this year's ceremonies. The ceremony was held on traditional PowWow grounds, with teepee, to honor Lakota Culture.
I am grateful to be able to give back to OLC for it's inspiration and educational expertise to allow me to teach the children here.
Pilamaya.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool!